After one of the most important dates for Brazilian trade, long awaited by consumers, Black Friday, which has shown great growth in our country in the last nine years, increasing the average ticket from R$450 per purchase in 2011 to R$608 in the last year, another period is also crucial to sell more: the expected Christmas. And in order for delivery performance to occur correctly, it is necessary to plan logistics, both in production and distribution.
Increased sales and the overload of operations are the main impacts caused by logistics seasonality. And they are essentially important because, any failure in either of the two, can lead to delays, costs and, worst of all, leave the customer on the lurch.
We know that the delivery of products on the agreed time is fundamental to retain customers. Therefore, it is necessary to create strategies for logistics to work throughout the year, in order to avoid delays in operations, but especially at the end of the year, when business increases so much.
In fact, logistics will only be efficient when it is seen as a strategic part of the business and not just an operational factor. It must be included in the company’s annual planning. On seasonal high-demand dates such as Mother’s Day, Black Friday and Christmas, stocks must be planned in advance. After all, few companies are so flexible to the point of substantially increasing their production overnight to meet demand variation. What’s more, you can’t expect to reach the date and try to organize yourself at the time of demand.
Logistics in high demand
As it is common knowledge that these dates are especially important for sales, wellmade product demand forecasts assist in decision making, providing basic information for planning and controlling production, labor, distribution and Logistics. Full shelves, decorated showcases and the atmosphere of exchanging gifts invade the Christmas spirit. For trade, good time to increase sales. For logistics, time to deal with much more goods and deliveries. Check out what you need to do to optimize logistics operations and keep customers satisfied.
Tips for meeting high demand
– Ability to predict demand – use all available tools to anticipate future demand, considering last Christmas’ sales growth. Anticipating demand, which at this time can be up to 10 times higher, it is possible to guarantee the adequate volume of products in stock and serve all customers.
– For this, seek skilled and reliable suppliers who can accept changes in order quantities, accept sudden demands and have flexibility in delivery times. Purchase in advance raw
materials, keep the team prepared and motivated for the most intense activity and have available equipment capable of meeting the growth obtained.
– Planning is everything! With all the numbers in hand, plan in advance to take time to make all the necessary changes in logistics operation.
– Create an action plan for logistics in order to avoid common problems at this time. Place orders in advance for suppliers not to run out of raw material, and strengthen the picking and packing system to expedite delivery and so that the final product, well packed, reaches the final destination. Goods sold at this time of year can serve as a gift, hence the importance of being well packed.
– Delivery times – meeting product delivery times is extremely important not to cause frustration – have you ever thought about buying a Christmas present that arrives in the new year? And also to retain customers.
– Safety – to optimize logistics operations on seasonal dates, avoiding any kind of risk to cargo, it is essential to hire a reliable logistics company that offers cargo and vehicle tracking.
– Reformulation of routes – route planning is already a challenge in itself to generate savings and meet delivery times. On seasonal dates, when sales volume and congestion increase, reshaping routes can optimize logistics operations, reducing unnecessary travel, unscheduled deviations, speeding up and offering greater delivery capacity per vehicle.
Take advantage of growth opportunities
Of course, you have to prepare for high seasonal demand, but never see it as a problem! After all, selling more is a growth opportunity. So take the opportunity to launch new products and conquer new customers without losing quality. You can make logistics seasonality a growth opportunity rather than an operational overload. The preparation plan for increased sales includes the search for skilled suppliers, prepared staff and provision of equipment and systems capable of meeting the growth obtained.
Logistics operations must monitor new plans and be optimized, so that the company maintains its inventory and distribution is made within the agreed time frame. Failures on these commemorative dates cannot happen, at risk of putting everything to lose.
If everything is under control, invest in communication strategies, do promotions, advertise your product to attract consumer attention.